Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Bookworm...

I've kept up on my goal to read more often, so here are some of my thoughts on the latest books!  


I thought Hope in a Jar was a very predictable book.  I felt that I knew how the book would end within the first few chapters.  The story line revolves around two friends that had a falling out in high school and don't speak again until their reunion.  There's flashbacks to them as friends in high school and the other part of the story is about their lives currently.  There's some relationship drama, friends drama, weight issues...  It's not a bad book, but it just wasn't all that exciting.  Definitely not one I wasn't able to put down.


I have mixed feelings about How to be a Hepburn in a Hilton World.  On one hand I absolutely loved it and the message Jordan Christy is trying to convey.  It's essentially about how the classy girl isn't all that common anymore.  Instead the women that get the most attention these days are the ones that are caught getting out a car with no undies, getting arrested for drugs, dancing on bars, etc.  I agree and that's why I wanted to read the book.  I think that being called "classy" is an incredibly high compliment because it implies so much: grace, style, manners...I'm always interested in ways to improve myself so I liked the motivation in this book.  However, I did find some of the book uninteresting.  She does an entire section on fashion, which is fine, but she mentions specific stores and clothing articles, such as Anthropologie having great wide leg pants.  I think some of the advice will eventually become dated and not applicable, but that's just my opinion.  I also thought some of the quizzes were a little juvenile.  All in all this book has an uncommon topic and I enjoyed it.


I didn't finish this one.  I got a few chapters in and it hadn't really caught my attention.  From what I gathered it was about a mother who's grown daughter flies off to another country to care for her husband that was injured during war.  Her daughter's stepdaughter needs a place to live so she comes to live with her (the grandmother).  That's about as far as I caught.  I wasn't all that into it, plus they introduced a dog that's lost and I shy away from books that have a focus on animals.  It upsets me if something bad ends up happening to them.


This one was just okay.  The main character looks exactly like a celebrity and she ends up working as a her double-attends premiers, goes on dates, stays at her house, etc.  I would save this for a long car ride or beach read.  It's alright to read when you need to stay occupied, but not the greatest one to read when you're sacrificing time doing something else.


Twenties Girl was my favorite book I've read so far!  The main character finds herself the only one able to see the ghost of her great aunt Sadie.  Now, I don't like ghost stories and was thinking I'd hate this book, but I ended up loving the story line because it was different and because it's just a good story!  So Sadie lived during the twenties and the main theme (duh, title of the book) has a twenties vibe to it.  I don't want to give anything away, but there's a love story weaved in with a little mystery so pick this one up!

*All images via google images.

4 comments:

  1. I love book reviews! I am always looking for something new to read. I LOVED Twenties Girl. It was really slow at first, but it turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You've been busy reading, girl! Love these reviews!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like some good books! I may have to look into a few of these! I've had books where I've gotten into the first few chapters and didn't like them so much...kinda disappointing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Sophie Kinsella, so I would definitely be up for that book!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity